Lamentations 1-2, Psalm 28
As we read the book of Lamentations, which is really an appendix to the book of Jeremiah, we must realize just how much our nation resembles the nation of Judah at the time of their downfall. Our nation was founded on Judeo-Christian principles and was blessed for many years due to this. The Russians knew this, and in 1958 in a book by Cleon Skousen called "The Naked Communist", 45 Communist goals were put forth on how to bring our nation down (I heard this on the "Through the Bible" section on the Message section of the CCOB app from our pastor, Lloyd Pulley, from April 2006). These are a few of the Communist goals, see if they have not come true as they desired. Here are some of them next to their number in his book:
16. Use technical decisions of the courts to weaken basic American institutions, by claiming their activities violate civil rights.
17. Get control of the schools.Use them as transmission belts for Socialism and current Communist propaganda. Soften the curriculum. Get control of teachers associations. Put the party line in textbooks.
19.Use student riots to foment public protests against programs or organizations that are under Communist attack.
20. Infiltrate the press.Get control of book review assignments, editorial writing, policy-making positions.
21. Gain control of key positions in radio, TV and motion pictures.
22. Continue discrediting American culture by degrading all forms of artistic expression. Eliminate all "good sculpture from parks and buildings" and substitute shapeless, awkward and meaningless forms.
24. Eliminate all laws governing obscenity by calling them "censorship" and a violation of free speech and free press.
25. Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting pornography and obscenity in books, magazines, motion pictures, radio and TV.
26. Present homosexuality, degeneracy, and promiscuity as "normal, natural and healthy".
***27. Infiltrate the churches and replace revealed religion with "social religion". Discredit the Bible and emphasize the need for intellectual maturity, which does not need a "religious crutch".
***28. Eliminate prayer or any phase of religious expression in the schools on the grounds that it violates the principles of "separation of church and state".
29. Discredit the American Constitution by calling it inadequate, old fashioned,out of step with modern needs, a hindrance to cooperation between nations on a worldwide basis.
30. Discredit the American founding fathers. Present them as selfish aristocrats who had no concern for the "common man".
Written 60 years ago, it is amazing how our nation has transformed. As a whole, those of us who stood by our Judeo-Christian principles have been asleep at the wheel and have allowed our nation to be in a position to be judged by our God for the moral depravity that we now find ourselves in.
After finishing the book of Jeremiah, we understand why Jeremiah states in Lam.1:8, "Jerusalem has sinned gravely, Therefore she has become vile. All who honored her despised her Because they have seen her nakedness; Yes, she sighs and turns away." He goes on in Jer. 1:18 (with Jerusalem being the "I"), "The Lord is righteous, For I rebelled against His commandment...". From the book of Jeremiah we read that the sins pervaded every level of the community from the kings, the priests, the prophets and the people. The sins included every form of depravity from idolatry, sexual promiscuity, disregard for the poor, etc. God had given them every opportunity to repent, but they chose to persist in their rebellion against God, until there was no remedy left. In Genesis 6:3, Gold told Noah, "My Spirit shall not strive with man forever".
We, as a nation have experienced tremendous blessings. Though we fear ISIS, Russia, Iran, North Korea, etc, what we should be more alarmed at is how we have declined morally and placed ourselves in a postion where God, since He is 100% just, will allow our destruction. In Matthew 11:23, Jesus says , "And you, Capernaum, who are exalted to heaven, will be brought down to Hades; for if the mighty works which were done in you had been in Sodom, it would have remained to this day." It is never too late for our nation until God says it is too late. Jeremiah warned the people of Judah for 40 years before their nation fell. Our nation's only chance is revival, which must come from us, the church. We must take up the call of Jeremiah in warning a nation that rejects a return to morality. We know that God's story will unfold according to His will and His timing, we have to decide what part we want to play in His story. Will we remain quiet on the sidelines or will we be God's mouthpiece pleading with our family, friends, neighbors and communities to turn to God before it is too late.
Messages from Pastor Lloyd Pulley: